The Bestest in the Barn

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Harry Potter #7

I finished reading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" yesterday. It was very good, but now I'm sad that it's over. It feels like Christmas when you're a kid. All those weeks of build-up and excitement and then, boom--it's over. We've spent nearly a decade with Harry. My son has grown up with him. Characters we've grown to love are gone, those we've loved to hate, we've seen with new eyes. Who could have predicted what a phenomenon it was going to be? I've read some very interesting reviews of this book online and I have to say, some people seem to be taking it a lot more seriously than I did. I never viewed Harry as a Christ figure, or saw the book as an allegory for World War II. I just thought it was a great fantasy read that inspired a lot of reluctant readers to pick up a book just to see what all the fuss was about. And in my opinion that makes Harry a real wizard AND a hero. So long Harry-I'll miss you.

1 comment:

Melly Mac said...

Finished around 10am this morning and, too, am sad that it's all over... I did enjoy it all and tried to savor every word without reading too far ahead (which, at times, was SUPER hard!).

Now to read all 7, back to back, and slip the movies in, too. I'm sure I will find unfiinished storylines like we said.

I wished I'd seen a bit more follow up the night Moldy Voldy was killed... McGonigal, the Malfoys, Hagrid, the Weasley family.

So glad that Snape was proven good and not evil. I never flipped on him and had almost thought I was wrong she waited so long to reveal that!

The parallel between Hitler and Voldemort was more clear in this book, but don't know if I would have made the leap had it not been pointed out in print prior to my reading it.

I agree with you... it's a great fairy tale that got lots of kids interested and reading. The kids and I will read all of them in another few years when they are ready. That would be fun!

We are off to get another Andrew Lost... 16 in all so far!!! :)M