The Bestest in the Barn

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Week 7 Thing 16

I just finished reading all about Wikis and now I'm ready to make my observations. I think a Community Wiki would be a wonderful and valuable thing and provide a great service to our communities. I know that there are many hidden gems in each of our Library Communities and it would be wonderful to provide a forum to our patrons to bring those hidden gems out into the open. I also really, REALLY like the idea of Subject Guide Wikis. From the bad old days when I struggled to maintain the links on the website, and juggle all my million other responsibilities, this sounds like a great idea! Maybe I'm not so comfortable with patron links being added outright without someone checking them out first, but staff could certainly add links freely.
Now, having said all that, I can speak from the heart. My first love is, and always will be, Reader's Advisory. Please, oh, please, let us "Wiki-fy" the Catalog! How fun is that! Let the patrons annotate the books! Reviews are all very well and good, but what "real" people want to hear is the voice of other "real" people who have read the book. That's one of the reasons sites like Amazon are so popular. And while we're at it, let's have the lists too!

No comments: