The Bestest in the Barn

Sunday, August 5, 2007

Week 9 Thing 22

Well this assignment was certainly a snap! I chose Overdrive since that's who we have our audio books with. I took the tutorial and it was very clear and easy to follow. And, it turns out, completely unnecessary, because when I went to our library's audio books page, I didn't need to use any of the things I learned in the tutorial. For a change I had ALL of the accounts and software I needed already! How about that? All I had to to was sign in with the library card number I already have memorized, choose a book, check it out, and download it. I checked out "The Frogs Wore Red Suspenders" by Jack Prelutsky. So easy a, um, children's librarian could do it! Too bad I can't listen to the book I checked out since I don't have any techie toys. So I just wandered over to Audiobooks For Free from Project Gutenberg and it was even easier there. Okay, I DID have to create ANOTHER account, but after that, no problem. I downloaded two poems there, "If" by Rudyard Kipling and "Hunting of the Snark" by Lewis Carroll. For both, I had the option to get the item free or to pay a fee for better quality or zipped files. Depending on the item you choose, you even get to choose the size of the file you download. Then, it was just a right click and, hey presto, right there on my desktop. A simple matter of clicking on the play button. Not all of the titles I thought I would find were here, but many were. And I'm sure new things are being added all the time. What a wonderful idea! And Overdrive was very easy to use too. I've had training on the product, but doing is better. I should be in a better position to help patrons now. Now all I need is my very own techie toy.

No comments: